22 years of working every day with those who are homeless, sometimes helpless and usually hopeless has taught the Dream Center that discipline, training and education is the key to help people transform their lives and see their dreams come true. Because of this fact, the Dream Center has engaged in extensive discipleship and education programs including a free inner-city school for youth, extensive GED program training, on-campus accredited college programs and networking with various accredited institutions to create tracks to college opportunities.
With growing need for higher education that leads to job opportunities for the thousands served by the Los Angeles Dream Center and its global network the Dream Center Foundation for the last 3 years has been actively exploring formal educational partnerships to possibly acquire an accredited university or university system with a focus on acquiring a for-profit educational institution who would benefit from becoming non-profit.
What has emerged from those discussion is an amazing opportunity for Dream Center Foundation to acquire 3 university systems from for-profit organization, Education Management Corporation (EDMC) and turn those systems into a community focused not-for-profit educational institutions that will:
- Provide low cost or no cost GED training at each campus in conjunction with participating Dream Centers;
- Offer academic programs on-site and/or through “on-line” at Dream Centers through-out the world;
- Provide scholarships for graduates from the network of Dream Centers;
- Provide pathways and scholarships for higher education for the thousands of volunteers and interns;
- Connect graduates to jobs through job placement programs at the Dream Center Network and through expanded job placement efforts at each college campus site;
- Take profits that now primarily benefit shareholders and invest those profits back into each campus and through scholarships to serve prospective students, current students, faculty, staff and the communities served with not only educational opportunities but compassionate service.