Where is the truthfulness in America today? The version of the truth you are presented with depends on the website you read or television network you watch. This same reality is observed on almost every political issue.
For those of us who are Christ followers, we must be very careful not to get pulled in by any of these forces. I am 100 percent for being aware of what is happening in our world, but we need to be careful and discerning.
WHAT TRUTHFULNESS IS NOT
- Truthfulness is not in the eyes of the spectator.
- Truthfulness is not determined by your preferred news media.
- Truthfulness is not discovered through the rumor mill.
- Truthfulness is not defined or re-defined by any politician or political party.
- Truthfulness is not one thing to one person and another thing to another person.
- Truthfulness is not fluid.
- Truthfulness is not human-centered.
WHAT TRUTHFULNESS IS
- Truthfulness is found only in the Bible and what it says.
- Truthfulness is in Jesus Christ and Him alone.
We do not determine what truth is through the lens of a political party, a news outlet, or any segment of the culture.
We do determine what is happening in the culture through the lens of the Bible and what it says.
We should always be Bible-based, Jesus-centered, and Holy Spirit-empowered people.
Anything less than this will blur our eyes to seeing the real truth about anything and it will skew our perspective.
Any time we diminish the Bible and what it says, we sit down on the slippery slide that will take us to where America is living today.
God has a better way.
Ronnie Floyd is the senior pastor of Cross Church and president of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. He is the author of “Living Fit: Make Your Life Count by Pursuing a Healthy You” (B&H Books). Follow him @ronniefloyd.
Read more at A Warning to Christians About Truthfulness in America.