COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — James Dobson, Ph.D. issues the following statement:
“I simply cannot let the U.S. Senate’s failure to pass the Pain-Capable Act fade into memory without letting the American people know about it. The Christian community would be complicit if we allowed such a disgraceful vote to simply get lost in the news cycle. This common sense and compassionate bill would have outlawed abortion after 20-weeks, the point at which a baby can feel the mortal pain experienced during an abortion.
“The Senate’s betrayal on Pain-Capable is compounded all the more by the two ‘no’ votes cast by Republicans Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine. The final tally was 51-46 in favor, eight votes short of the 60 required to continue the bill along the legislative process. Their decision to vote ‘no’ flies in the face of public opinion and common decency.
“The Republican Party platform has long supported such pro-life legislation, and polling shows that more than 60 percent of the American public is in favor of banning abortion after the five-month mark. In fact, only seven nations, including China and North Korea, allow such barbarism. Both Sens. Murkowski and Collins should be aware that Family Talk and all pro-life groups will not forget their inhumane and wrongheaded decision.
“Shirley and I are praying for the softening of these senators’ hearts, and for the hearts of all of those who voted ‘no.’ We encourage everyone who believes in protecting the lives of the unborn to write letters, send emails, and call these senators’ offices. Below, we’ve provided email hyperlinks and phone numbers to make it as easy as possible. Please join in the fight for America’s most vulnerable and together, let’s light up the phones of the ‘no’ votes on Pain-Capable.”
The two Republicans who voted “no”:
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R – AK): Email by clicking here; or call her Washington, D.C. office: (202) 224-6665
- Sen. Susan Collins (R – ME): Email by clicking here; or call her Washington, D.C. office: (202) 224-2523
The four Democrats who voted “no” in states carried by President Trump:
- Sen. Sherrod Brown (D – OH): Email by clicking here; or call his Washington, D.C. office: (202) 224-2315
- Sen. Claire McCaskill (D – MO): Email by clicking here; or call her Washington, D.C. office: (202) 224-6154
- Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D – ND): Email by clicking here; or call her Washington, D.C. office: (202) 224-2043
- Sen. Jon Tester (D – MT): Email by clicking here; or call his Washington, D.C. office: (202) 224-2644
Dr. James Dobson is a celebrated psychologist, Christian leader, and Founder and President of Family Talk, a nonprofit organization that produces his radio program, “Dr. James Dobson’s Family Talk.” He earned his Ph.D. from the University of Southern California in the field of child development with a minor in research design. Dr. Dobson was inducted into The National Radio Hall of Fame in 2008. He Currently serves as the Honorary Chairman for President Trump’s White House Faith Advisory Board.